We create spaces where people live, work, heal, learn, socialize, and play. Our decisions also impact the interior design industry comprised of designers, manufacturers, dealers, contractors, consultants, tradespeople, artisans, and workers around the world.
Through this wide reach, we play a significant role in reducing global carbon emissions and regenerating ecosystems to help avert the climate crisis. We are also in a unique position to improve people’s lives and support wellness and prosperity in our communities.
We have a professional obligation to our peers, the public, and future generations to strive for a just, healthy, and sustainable society.
1. Design for Climate:
We pledge to reduce the negative impacts of climate change by committing to:
– Reduce emissions, including operational and embodied carbon, to the maximum extent on all projects.
– Optimize design processes to reduce waste and the depletion of natural resources.
– Design for adaptability and resilience.
– Design for responsible end-of-life, deconstruction, and decommissioning processes.
2. Design for Health:
We support holistic health and safety by committing to:
– Improve physical health by eliminating toxic and hazardous substances and creating healthy and regenerative environmental conditions.
– Nurture the mental wellness and wellbeing of people who use spaces we design.
– Promote ecological health by preferring processes that restore and regenerate air, water, and other natural systems.
3. Design for Equity:
We will promote diversity, inclusion, and equity by committing to:
– Design to benefit people with different backgrounds and needs, equally and fairly.
– Include and reflect the perspectives of underrepresented communities in our work process.
– Make design choices that directly support the health and prosperity of vulnerable communities in our work product.
– Prioritize access and a positive experience for all people, regardless of visible and invisible differences.